-

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Is a "Salmon Patch" Nothing to Fret About?

QUESTION: My baby boy was born with a large pink birth mark on the back of his neck, which looks quite large to me.
Although I have indicated my worry to my doctor, she is not concerned and just tells me that these marks, which she calls a "salmon patch," are nothing to fret about.
Could you please tell me if you think she is correct?

ANSWER: I think we can agree with your physician, although I think she might have offered a word or two of explanation to help calm your natural anxiety. Salmon patches, sometimes called "angel's kiss" or "stork bite," are the most common birthmark composed of small blood vessels seen in babies.
They can occur on the forehead, eyelids, nose and lip areas, and are frequently seen on the nape of the neck.
They are seen in the midline area, and are usually symmetrical.
And yes, they do disappear by themselves, about 99 percent of those found on the face are gone by 1 year of age.
While 5 to 10 percent of those on the neck may remain, they are easily covered by growing hair and represent no health danger to your child.


The material contained here is "FOR INFORMATION ONLY" and should not replace the counsel and advice of your personal physician.
Promptly consulting your doctor is the best path to a quick and successful resolution of any medical problem.