-

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Nadal hopes sore knees will heal in time for Wimbledon

Rafael Nadal answers questions after his upset loss in Paris to Robin Soderling. Rafael Nadal answers questions after his upset loss in Paris to Robin Soderling. (Berant Armangue/Associated Press)

Rafael Nadal will travel to London later this month, but if his knees aren't 100 per cent, the world's No. 1-ranked player says he won't be defending his Wimbledon title.

Nadal, who says he's been playing for months with pain in his knees, made the announcement on his website after two days of medical tests in Barcelona.

"I am going to give my 200 per cent to be ready for the most important tournament in the world, the tournament I always dream about," he said. "I will not go out and play, especially on the Wimbledon Centre Court, if I am not 100 per cent ready."

The Spaniard said the pain in his knees was limiting his movement and that he "simply can't go on like this."

"I have two difficult weeks ahead of me, especially because I won't be doing what I like doing most, which is to play tennis, but I will be working on my recovery through physiotherapy treatments as well as recovery work on the specific muscular area," Nadal said.

His doctor, Angel Ruiz-Cotorro, said Nadal is suffering from tendonitis in both kneecaps.

The four-time French Open champion was expected to defend his title earlier this month on the clay courts at Roland Garros, but he was upset in the fourth round by Sweden's Robin Soderling.

Nadal withdrew from a grass-court warmup event at Queen's Club this week because of his knees.

Wimbledon begins June 22.